Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Preparing for Dragon*Con 2011 - Supplies

In all my years of geekdom, I have attended Dragon*Con several times and likely prepared well enough for several more.  This year, I document my preparation efforts and my new intent of freeing up all the more time and money with which to enjoy the convention itself.  Enjoy the checklists below.

Things to Bring

I just returned from my grocery store trip, where I bought significantly less than in the past.  Take a look:

It starts with two of the most important items: deli cheeses and meats.  Combined with bread that I already own, these constitute my primary lunch of sandwiches.  Useful both on the road and at the convention, they also carry well on foot thanks to their high calorie-to-ounce ratio.  Note how I did not bring enough for the entire weekend, as I plan to socialize with my fellow con-goers over restaurant meals and the like.


Another vital item: vegetables.  I neglect to eat enough of these already and the convention environment - packed with stalls and vending machines - will only make it easy to consume anything else.  Therefore, I make the strategic choice and buy them now in a form best suited to easy travel and consumption.


My nutritional infantry arrives next: the sweet snack. Granola bars rank high in the category for portion size and portability.  I expect to carry several of these on each expedition from my hotel room.

Right behind the first snack comes its backup: the savory snack.  I include the cheese spread to make the experience all that more filling and satisfying.  I also splurged a bit on the quality of this item in another attempt at strategic foresight: after hours of cheaper goods, I expect to crave more "real" food like nobody's business.  These will fit the bill without breaking the bank (compared to ready-made convention food).


Now for the invaluable hangover cure.  Any drink heavy in electrolytes will serve to replace those lost to partying (and walking) hard.  I choose something tasty to make it much more likely that my inebriated, exhausted future self will actually drink his fill before dehydration can set it.


I list this as a possible supplement to the Gatorade mix.  While I can (and recommend that you) drink lots of water straight up, this easier-to-add flavor could help that process along.


Your feet will thank you profusely when you remember to wear foot gels; I know that mine can hurt enough already.  Anything you can do to make the walking experience more pleasant will go far towards increasing your enjoyment of the convention, especially by the end of each day.


Finally, I always remember the personal care products and in a very portable size. Dodging con-crud requires lots of hand-washing, so I recommend lotion for everyone.  In this case, the hand sanitizer component proves a surprise bonus.

Things to Leave at Home


This might sound heretical, but the energy drinks will stay at home.  Something like 5-Hour Energy might solve the size and weight issues of standard cans but, in the end, caffeine may only mask exhaustion that your body can only cure with actual sleep.  A few power naps throughout the day will save money and restore the attention I need to actually remember those awesome late-night parties.

This year marks my first one without ramen.  For years, I have tried to include both the instant and cooked versions but it always proves too bothersome and messy for what amounts to an incredibly weak meal.  One less dealer room purchase translates to more than enough sandwich fixings to replace the ramen and I'll receive a much more satisfying experience in the process.

Let me know how much use you get out of this list, which I will update as the convention experience tests the mettle of my plan.  In the meantime, enjoy Dragon*Con.


No comments:

Post a Comment